28. Mai 2015

Agatha Christie und die Lügenpresse

"You wouldn't believe what I've got on my shoulders," said Lord Easterfield. "I take a personal interest in each one of my publications. I consider that I'm responsible for molding the public mind. Next week millions of people will be thinking and feeling just exactly what I've intended to make them feel and think. That's a very solemn thought. That means responsibility. Well, I don't mind responsibility. I'm not afraid of it. I can do with responsibility. ...

"It's nothing to do with me," said Lord Easterfield. I am only the instrument of a higher Power. What that Power decrees, happens."

"I see you believe that," said Luke.

"Because it's the truth! Anyone who goes against me pays the penalty. You and Bridget will be no exception."

Lord [Gordon] Easterfield -- Bridget's fiancé, a potbellied, moralistic newspaper magnate who believed what he read in his own papers.

Agatha Christie: Easy to kill.
First Pocket Books printing November, 1945, p. 27 and 183
Original British Title: Murder is easy. Chapter Three and Twenty.
Collins Crime Club June, 1939

“Nachrichten allein bedeuten gar nichts; man braucht Autoren, die sie deuten können, und eine Zeitung, die wirklich was zu sagen hat: DIE ZEIT. Morgen am Kiosk." ZDF, 25. April 2012

Sir Alfred, die Geschichte und die Nazis. Wie das viertgrößte deutsche Medienunternehmen Geschichte lehrt und seine braunen Jahre vergisst. Von Ingo Niebel, ver.di, Juli-August 2003